Getting Started - Basic Guide

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Hello All!

i'm trying to make a thread to help out a bit all the people around which don't have no basics at all in making Mirservers.. so please be kind if this isn't a fully completed guide but just a Getting Started one..

First of all let's present yourselves to some mir applications..

Let's start with the basic WIL/WIX readers.. like WMLIBEDITOR / LOMIMAGEVIEWER / HH8..

-----------------------------------
WmlibEditor! - Download Here

This is basically the Wil reader i prefer most.. this is because it allows you to quickly mass copy and cut images from different wils at the same time..

Interface Explanation:
New - Create a new window to start the creation of a Wil file from 0
Open - Simple..
Exit - Closes the program
Hide Grid - Disables the grid in the viewing blu screen
PX-PY - Are the Placements position on axis X and on axis Y

If u enlarge the wmlibeditor window clicking on the right button angle and enlarging it to the right u will have some more buttons poping out which are:
Color - Allows u to choose another color if u don't like blue
Zoom - Makes the image you are viewing bigger
Prev/Next - Skip to prev or next image in the wil file
Frame/Count/Edit - Not much used tbh
Start/Velocity - Are there to make you have a play of the file in sequence..

Known Problems of WMLibEditor and how to fix:
1) When opening some wil/wix of library type 2 u will have the wmlibeditor blocked on 0%.. this case is when (for example opening Dragon.wil) u get a new windows poping up but no images are displayed and the progress bar underneath is stuck on 0%..

solution:
this case happens because wmlibeditor seems not to know how to read lib2 wils.. so to fix this download hh8.. close the wmlibeditor.. open the hh8.. open the wil files that gives you the errors.. press "export all".. choose a destination folder where u want to save all the bmps which we will soon export.. dont change start idx and end idx.. press export and wait till it ends.. a chinese window will pop up to say it has ended.. now press "create new".. in image path choose the path u have exported the images before.. in filename choose the filename u want the wil to have.. select placement from file and images bmp and select create! Now u can close the HH8 and delete the image folder u have created..

Try opening the new wil with wmlibeditor and you should be able to read it!
[There is a very low chance of getting wmlibeditor saying "invalid pointer operation" error even after this steps.. in this case read the appropriate solution in a few lines]

2) Canvas does not allow drawing..
this happens when in the wil file there are some empty images without no details in.. wmlibeditor returns this errors and sometimes when viewing the wil if u get too deep in the empty images this error becames reduntant..

solution:
i have seen that using solution of problem n°1 u can fix also this kind of error so please read the solution i have written before..

3) Access violations errors:
this happen mostly because u have already an app like lomimageviewer reading the wil file you are trying to open with wmlibeditor.. BUT in some rare cases happens also for some reason i still didnt understand.. in this rare cases i have tryed to solve using solution of number 1's problem and some times works and some doesn't..

solution:
try solution number 1 for this or try solution number 4 which i will explain in a sec

4) Invalid Pointer Operation / Persistant Access violation error

solution:
in this cases u will need to use LomImageViewer (download here).. open it and open the wil file u are trying to fix.. Press Image -> Export Range
First image will be 0.. last image is the last u see under the images where u can read Image: 0 of xxx) and at the last window write 0.. choose a destination and press ok
Now browse into your mir data folder in search of a wil which is library 1.. to know if it is library 1 simply read it on the right side of lomimageviewer..
when u have a library type 1 file opened then press Image -> Build new library..
In the Image folder choose the parent folder holding the 0 folder.. for example if 0 folder is in C:\ then dont choose C:\0\ but only C:\
Choose the name u want to give to the file.. possible put the same name ending in .wil then in .wix
Now where it says End Image u must put in the value u have entered before when exporting.. then press Build!

If u still get invalid pointer or access violation then im sorry but i really dont know how to fix it then! (already happened to me too..)

5) When mass copying images from a wil file to another u get only a lot of black images and nothing more
This is the case when you have wmlibeditor opened with 3/4 files opened and when u try to select some images from one and copy them to the other u only get a bunch of black images with nothing inside.. this happens because the wil files u have opened are causing a memory problem in wmlibeditor..

solution:
to fix this u simply have to open less wils at a time.. this happens because wmlibeditor cannot copy to the clipboard for some reason due to the ammount of memory used in opening the wils.. i have seen that closing some of the opened wils fixes this problem but in some rare cases when u have very big wils opened like hum.wil u can't anyway copy and paste.. in this cases u will have to export the range of images u are interested in with lomimageviewer or hh8.. build a smaller wil with only those images and use that to work with wmlibeditor..

Lomimageviewer - Download Here
This is the most old mir application i remember of but at the same time it keeps on working with our recent files.. also the most recent library type 2..

Interface Explanation:
Interface is soo simply that im not going to explain it but i will explain instead some of its functions..

Under the image menu:
Export Range -
this allows u to export in mass the bmps contained in the wil file u have opened.. this function requires the start image of the export.. the end image of the export and a simbolic number for the folder name which i suggest to use 0 in case u dont want to have problems in building the library back.. in some cases when the images contained in the wil files are a lot u will have lomimageviewer generating other folders called +1 from the first u selected.. this means u might have folders like 0, 1, 2, 3 .. untill it doesnt export them all.. an example is when u try to export all the images inside a hum.wil or a weapon.wil.. in this case when u want to rebuild the library u have to simply choose the parent folder which holds all of this folders.. and lomimageviewer will do the rest.

Build New Library -
This allows to re-create a library with the exported images..
As i said image folder MUST be the parent folder.. if u have folder 0 in C:\ dont select C:\0\ but only C:\
Library name is easy to understand.. as start and end image..
Library type cannot be changed in this menu but there is a trick.. if u want the program to create a library 1 type then simply open a library 1 wil before building it.. if u want a lib 2 then open a more recent wil file which should most probably be a library 2.
Fast HDD IO Mode complies only a bit quicker the new library..

Colour Replace -
This allows u to change for a selected range of images a chosen colour to another.. this doesnt always work correctly and isnt always so easy so if u want to try this out do it on some backuped files..

Known Problems of LomImageViewer and how to fix:
1) When opening some wil/wix the program doesnt display nothing and in the lower left part u can read "Dimensions: 0x0 <empty slot>..

solution:
Fixing this is only possible with the use of HH8.. the steps u must take are the same ones u must take in fixing problem number 1 of wmlibeditor..

2) Error opening xyz.wil file
This is a really stupid problem.. it happens when another lomimageviewer is opened and it's reading the same wil you are trying to open..

solution:
Close one of the 2 lomimageviewers..

HH8 - Download Here
This is one of the most recent apps.. infact this is the most compatible and it can read most of the files and has u had chance to see if u have read all the document till now, it can fix most of the problems u get..

As far as i know.. i used this program a lot and i dont find it difficult at all.. interface is simple and quick to understand...

I don't know if this program has some typical errors as i didn't get any yet..

Last edited:

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
SQL Basics - What to know

Most of the operations u will need to know to set up well your mirserver files are found in the Enterprise Manager of your SQL.. so start opening it and going into the mir2 database..

Click on tables.. this is the only tables which we will be interested in:
TBL_ADMIN - Contains the list on Charnames which are allowed to be GaMeMasters
TBL_AUCTION - Contains the list of items stored in the Trust Merchant
TBL_BLOCKLIST - Contains the list of Charnames that are blocked and cant play
Tbl_CharInfo - Contains some details of all the ingame chars
Tbl_CharList - Contains the list of chars ingame and details of when they where created
TBL_FRIEND - Should contain the list of friends u add ingame
TBL_GTForum - Don't really know but should be something concerning GTForum :)
TBL_GTList - Contains the list of Guild Territories available and used
TBL_GTObjects - Should contain the list of decorations applied in each GT
TBL_GUARD - This is the list of all the guards ingame
TBL_GuildItems - This is the list of the stored items in the GT Store
TBL_Guildlist - This is the list of the ingame Guilds
TBL_GuildMemberList - This is the list of the members and in which guild they are
TBL_GuildWarLog - This is just a table to remember which guild is in war with with other
TBL_KEEPALIVE - I really don't know what this is
TBL_MAGIC - This is the list of the ingame spells
TBL_MAIL - This is the list of mails sent ingame..
TBL_MAPINFO - This contains all the info about maps
TBL_MERCHANT - This is the list of all the npc which are merchants ingames
TBL_MONGEN - This is the table containing the position and number of monsters to spawn
TBL_MONSTER - This is the list of all the monsters ingame
TBL_MOVEMAPEVENT - This is the list of all the doors ingame
TBL_NPC - This is the list of all the npc ingame
TBL_STARTPOINT - This is where you are allowed to spawn when u first create a char
Tbl_StatusArray - This is a array which is unsed atm (i think since all values are 0)
TBL_STDITEMS - This is the list of all items ingame
Tbl_UserItems - This is the list of the items which each user has
Tbl_UserMagic - This is the list of which skills each user has learnt

Before starting to go deep into the tables and explaining them better i would like to say a few words..

Working on the tables using the SQL Server Enterprise Manager is very annoying and difficult.. because u may have different limitations on this.. most of them are dued to the fact that u can't mass edit things.. also its not this easy and user friendly so when u are thinking of edit a lot from a table i suggest you to export it in something better.. edit it with another program like notepad or excel and import it back again.

This steps anyway must be done with care because u might loose all the info if you dont do this correctly..

Exporting Data Guide
This is for SQL2000 but i think it should be quite similar with SQL2005

Select any Table of the above list
- Right click on it and choose: All activities -> Export Data
- Click Next at the first window
- At the second window asking Data Source leave everything like it is and press next
- At third window asking Destination choose what destination you want.. u can choose within Text files, excels files and much more.. i will choose Microsoft Excel 4.0 (because there seems to be an error in Microsoft Excel 97-2000 file since it doesnt import correctly.. and as far as i know the version 4.0 works.. i didnt try yet version 5.0 so i'm just choosing 4.0 so that im sure it works..)
Also choose a filename for the destination, and press next
- Select Copy Tables and press Next
- At the window which says "Select Source Tables and Views" select on the left which tables u are interested in exporting.. i will select only [mir2].[dbo].[TBL_STDITEMS] but u can select even more than one.. at destination u can put any name or leave it as it is then press next
- Select run immediately and press next and finally finish
At the end u should get 2 messages the second will indicate Complete (number of rows)

in the case of TBL_STDITEMS the number in the (..) must be = to the last id of the table.. if its different u havent got all the table exported!

Now u will have a file with all the info u exported.. in my case i got an excel file!

Importing Data Guide
After u have done all the changing u needed to do at your exported file then u can save it and re-import it overwritting the info inside the original table..

just make sure that certain tables need to have an univoce id for example the tbl_stditems table, tbl_magic or tbl_monster.. what does this mean exactly?

this means that if u have edited the info inside your stditems and u have added lets say 10 rows.. make sure that the FLD_ID of the last 10 rows as been incremented by 1 unit..

example:
- original last 5 rows of a tbl_stditems:
640 Weapon38 5 38 10 0 0 0 2357...
641 Weapon39 5 39 10 0 0 0 4017...
642 Weapon40 5 40 10 0 0 0 2359...
643 Weapon41 5 41 10 0 0 0 2360...
644 Weapon42 5 42 10 0 0 0 2361...

now if u add 2 more lines to the table make sure that the FLD_ID goes +1 each line u enter so that u would have
645 Weapon43 5 43 10 0 0 0 2362...
646 Weapon44 5 44 10 0 0 0 2373...

this is very important because any wrong id in the FLD_ID will end up in a m2server.exe error..

said this we can now explain how to import a file over another..
- Right click on any table and select: All activities -> Import data..
- Then when the window pops up press Next
- At the data source windows you must select the type of file it was when exported.. in my case a microsoft excel 4.0
At the filename you must select be the excel file u edited
- Then press next twice
- Select copy tables and press next
- Enlarge the source field to see the complete names of the tables.. one should be tbl_name$ and the other tbl_name$data.. select the first one
under the destination voice press the arrow down and choose [mir2].[dbo].[TBL_NAME YOU NEED] in my case STDITEMS
in the transform voice press the ... and in the new window that pops up select
"Create destination table" and "drop and recreate destination table" then press OK
then press next and next again..
it should delete the table and recreate it with the new info in it..

Upvote 0

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Explaining the most important Tables

TBL_ADMIN:
[FLD_ADMINLEVEL] - Should be like an ID field..
[FLD_PLAYERNAME] - This is the charname which u are allowing to have GM Powers
[FLD_IP] - This is the IP Field.. set 127.0.0.1 for the first time.. it will update itself

Tbl_CharInfo:
[Fld_Index] - Is an ID field
[Fld_CharName] - Is the Chars Name
[Fld_CurMap] - Is the last map where the char as been before login out
[Fld_CurX] - X coordinate of the map
[Fld_CurY] - Y coordinate of the map
[Fld_Dir] - Sets the direction the char was watching so that u log in the same position
[Fld_Hair] - Sets the hair u have
[Fld_Sex] - Sets the gender (0 male 1 female)
[Fld_Job] - Says whats your job (0 warrior, 1 wizard, 2 taoist)
[Fld_Gold] - is the ammount of gold the char is holding in bag
[Fld_Level] - is the level of the char
[Fld_HP] / [Fld_MP] / [Fld_Exp] - Are respectively how much HP / MP or EXP the char has
[Fld_HomeMap] - Is the last main city or startpoint area he was in
[Fld_HomeX] / [Fld_HomeY] - Simply the coordinates of the above map
and a lot of more columns which are easy to understand

Tbl_CharList:
[Fld_Account] - the username of the account that holds the charname
[Fld_CharName] - charname
[Fld_CreateDate] - date of creation
[Fld_ModifyDate] - modify date
[Fld_SelectId] - dont really know
[Fld_Deleted] - field to know if the char is deleted or not
[Fld_Index] - link to the charinfo table
[Fld_Selected] - value to know which char of your account was last selected

TBL_GUARD:
[FLD_GUARDNAME] - Name of the guard
[FLD_MAPNAME] - Number of the map he is in
[FLD_X] / [FLD_Y] - Coordinates of the map
[FLD_DIRECTION] - Direction he is watching

TBL_MAGIC
[FLD_ID] - ID of the magic
[FLD_MIMICID] - ID for allowing to duplicate magics and having them working.. if u want to create another spell with the same effects of an existing one simply copy the line of the spell u want to duplicate.. change the id and the name but keep the mimicid the same..
[FLD_NAME] - Name of the skill
[FLD_EFFECTTYPE] / [FLD_EFFECT] / [FLD_SPELL] - This is what the magic appears like and what it does
[FLD_POWER] / [FLD_MAXPOWER] - This is what the damage it does
[FLD_DEFSPELL] / [FLD_DEFPOWER] / [FLD_DEFMAXPOWER] - This should be what it drains
[FLD_JOB] - This is what class can use it
[FLD_NEEDL1] - This is the first level u can start training it to lvl 1
[FLD_L1TRAIN] - This is the ammount of training u have to do to get it leveled up to 1
[FLD_NEEDL2] - This is for level 2
[FLD_L2TRAIN] - This is the ammount of training for lvl 2
[FLD_NEEDL3] - This is the level for level 3
[FLD_L3TRAIN] - And this is the ammount of training for lvl 3
[FLD_DELAY] - This is the time u need to wait before using again the spell

TBL_MAPINFO - This contains all the info about maps
[FLD_MAPFILENAME] - This is the map filename you have in your map folder
[FLD_MAPNAME] - This is what should appear in the lower right part ingame
[FLD_SERVERINDEX] - This should allow you to have maps on other server (dont ask me how it works)
[FLD_MINIMAP] - This is the number of the image to recall from the mmap.wil
[FLD_TOWNMAP] - This is the number to recall from the mmap.wil to have a big view
[FLD_FLAGS] - Some flags to have special effects on the map..
Flag list:
FIGHT=Declares its a fightzone
SAVE=Says its a savezone
DARK=Declares its a dark place (always night)
DAY=Says its always a lighten place
NORECALL=Cannot recall
NORECONNECT(map)=When you disconnect to get teleported to map
NORANDOMMOVE=Cannot use randomteleports
NOPOSITIONMOVE=Cannot use teleportring
MINE=Its a map where u can mine
QUIZ=???
BATTLEFIELD=Its a battlefield
NEEDHOLE=U need a hole to get in..(example ghoul cave)
CHECKQUEST(xyz)=Checks for a quest xyz
INCGAMEPOINT(x/y)=Increases your gamepoints every x sec by y
THUNDER(x)=Makes it thunder from the sky (x is the ammount)
LAVA(x)=Makes it have lava from the floor (x is the ammount)
GT(x)=Makes it a guild territory (x is the number of the GT)

TBL_MERCHANT:
[FLD_INDEX] - ID of the merchant
[FLD_SCRIPTFILE] - needs the filename of the txt holding its script
[FLD_MAPNAME] - map where it should be
[FLD_X] / [FLD_Y] - coordinates
[FLD_NAME] - name of the merchant
[FLD_APPEARANCE] - number of what skin u want to use in the npc.wil (0 is 1st skin)
[FLD_CANMOVE] - Sets if it can walk or not
[FLD_MOVETIME] - Sets the time for the npc to move
[FLD_ENABLED] - Sets if u want it ingame or not.. (1 is yes 0 is no)
[FLD_SHOWX]/[FLD_SHOWY]/[FLD_SHOWFLAG]/[FLD_FLAG]/[FLD_ISCASTLE] - dont know

TBL_MONGEN:
[FLD_MAPNAME] - Map name for respawn
[FLD_X] / [FLD_Y] - Coordinate of respawn
[FLD_MONNAME] - Name of the monster
[FLD_RANGE] - is how many steps away from the coordinate give can the spawn have effect
[FLD_GENTIME] - Its the time for the mob to respawn (in minutes)
[FLD_LOAD] - Sets if u want this line to be spawned or not (1 is yes 0 is no)
[FLD_COUNT]/[FLD_SMALLGENRATE] - Dont know

TBL_MONSTER:
[FLD_ID] - is the ID of the Monster
[FLD_NAME] - is the name of the monster
[FLD_RACE] - is the skin that is used for the mob (monx.wil)
[FLD_RACEIMG]/[FLD_IMGINDEX] - This it's the AI of the mob
[FLD_LV] - This is it's level
[FLD_UNDEAD] - This allows u to tame it or not (0 is tamable)
[FLD_COOLEYE] - This is how much it can see through hidden (100 is max)
[FLD_EXP] - This is how much exp the mob gives
[FLD_HP]/[FLD_MP]/[FLD_AC]/[FLD_MAC]/[FLD_DC]/[FLD_DCMAX]/[FLD_MC]/[FLD_SC]
[FLD_AGILITY]/[FLD_ACCURATE] - This are his values
[FLD_WALK_SPD] - Is the speed the mob can move
[FLD_WALKSTEP] - This is how many steps he move at one time
[FLD_WALKWAIT] - This is how much time it waits from a step to another (msecs)
[FLD_ATTACK_SPD] - Attack speed
[FLD_SHOWREV] - This says if u want it to rev when u start hitting it
[FLD_AGGRO]/[FLD_HALLUCINATION]/[FLD_ANTIPUSH][FLD_TAME]/[FLD_BGTELE] - Not sure

TBL_MOVEMAPEVENT:
[FLD_INDEX] - ID line
[FLD_SMAPFILENAME] - This is the start map
[FLD_SX]/[FLD_SY] - These are the coordinates of the start map that tele u to the end map
[FLD_DMAPFILENAME] - This is end map
[FLD_DX]/[FLD_DY] - These are the coordinates where u get tele'd on end map

TBL_STDITEMS:
[FLD_ID] - ID of the item
[FLD_NAME] - Name of the items
[FLD_WEIGHT] - Number of the weight of the item
[FLD_IMGINDEX] - This is the number of the image in the stateitem.wil
[FLD_DURAMAX] - Max dura that the item can have
[FLD_NEED] - if setted to 0 u need to be a certain level,
if setted to 1 u need a certain ammount of dc that u will set in needlevel field
if setted to 2 u need a certain ammount of mc that u will set in needlevel field
if setted to 3 u need a certain ammount of sc that u will set in needlevel field
[FLD_NEEDLEVEL] - Sets limit on level or dc / mc / sc
[FLD_HPADD] - Item should give extra HP
[FLD_MPADD] - Item should give extra MP
[FLD_UNIQUEITEM] - Makes it unique so that it cant be sold by merchants
[FLD_LIGHT] - Makes light.. 5 for max light
[FLD_CanTrade]/[FLD_CanDrop]/[FLD_CanDeathDrop]/[FLD_CanRepair]/[FLD_CanSpecialRepair]
[FLD_CanStore]/[FLD_CanSell]/[FLD_VanishDrop] - Some limitations u can add

A Good List of STDModes Explained

Upvote 0

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
[CREDITS TO ρяєα¢нєя]

First of all you need to open Wav->mirsound.lst from you client, and find the desired mob you want to edit using HH8 or somthing. For this example i will be using the YellowSnake mob, which is the 8th mob in Mon4.wil.

To find the correct sound for the YellowSnake in mirsound.lst you need to do the following:

- Take the 4 of Mon4.wil and add one to it = 5
- Then take the place of the mob in the file (8) and put it along side the 5 = 58. (Basically find the Appr of the mob)
- And add a 0 on the end of it = 580

This means the sounds that are related to this mob can be found between 580 and 589 (will usually only go up to 585 though) in Wav->mirsound.lst :
Code:
580:
581:    wav\580-1.wav
582:    wav\580-2.wav
583:
584:    wav\580-4.wav
585:    wav\580-5.wav

Every mob group is layed out the same (i.e Hit sound always in the same place):
Code:
580:
581:    wav\580-1.wav - On screen sound (Sound mob makes when it appears on screen)
582:    wav\580-2.wav - Attack sound (Sound mob make when it attacks)
583:
584:    wav\580-4.wav - Hit Sound (Sound mob makes when it's hit)
585:    wav\580-5.wav - Death sound (Sound mob makes when it dies)

So if you wanted to add a sound for a new mob, say the 3rd mob in Mon50.wil it would look like this in your Wav->mirsound.lst:
Code:
5130: 
5131:  wav\FeederAnt-1.wav
5132:  wav\FeederAnt-2.wav
5133:  
5134:  wav\FeederAnt-4.wav
5135:  wav\FeederAnt-5.wav

5131 = On Screen Sound
5132 = Attack Sound
5134 = Hit Sound
5135 = Death Sound

And that would have to go in the right place (ordered by numbers on the left) in mirsound.lst

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Cheers for this mate. Stickied for you.

Will keep an eye on it too, and delete any spam.

i have a quick Question, as I have not done naything server related for some time.

Which server files are the most recent, uptodate, and with least "bugs"?

Upvote 0

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Thanks for stickyfing this! Hope it will help someone and hope to end it soon since i wanted to add much more..

atm i think that the most uptodate files are the 2.3 files.. u can find a simple version guide here made by me or here is koni's server guide!

Thanks again!

Reactions: 2dope
Upvote 0

alibaydoun

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 30, 2008
i have done everything including going into the m2server file, copying the mir2.exe and putting it in my client folder. but when i go to press the mir2.exe in client folder, it pops up like 10 message boxes saying, access violation at address 00498ec0 in module 'mir2.exe' read of adress 000005a4? any ideas?

Upvote 0

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
i have done everything including going into the m2server file, copying the mir2.exe and putting it in my client folder. but when i go to press the mir2.exe in client folder, it pops up like 10 message boxes saying, access violation at address 00498ec0 in module 'mir2.exe' read of adress 000005a4? any ideas?

i forgot to say that to play mir u need to have the audio drivers installed correctly.. that error says that actually.. had the same problem on my working pc which didnt have an audio card and i had to install one.. :)

Upvote 0

athey

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 7, 2007
can anyone help me there is no ok screen after i select char ? :S

Upvote 0