Getting Started - Basic Guide

smoochy boys on tour

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
Hello All!

i'm trying to make a thread to help out a bit all the people around which don't have no basics at all in making Mirservers.. so please be kind if this isn't a fully completed guide but just a Getting Started one..

First of all let's present yourselves to some mir applications..

Let's start with the basic WIL/WIX readers.. like WMLIBEDITOR / LOMIMAGEVIEWER / HH8..

-----------------------------------
WmlibEditor! - Download Here

This is basically the Wil reader i prefer most.. this is because it allows you to quickly mass copy and cut images from different wils at the same time..

Interface Explanation:
New - Create a new window to start the creation of a Wil file from 0
Open - Simple..
Exit - Closes the program
Hide Grid - Disables the grid in the viewing blu screen
PX-PY - Are the Placements position on axis X and on axis Y

If u enlarge the wmlibeditor window clicking on the right button angle and enlarging it to the right u will have some more buttons poping out which are:
Color - Allows u to choose another color if u don't like blue
Zoom - Makes the image you are viewing bigger
Prev/Next - Skip to prev or next image in the wil file
Frame/Count/Edit - Not much used tbh
Start/Velocity - Are there to make you have a play of the file in sequence..

Known Problems of WMLibEditor and how to fix:
1) When opening some wil/wix of library type 2 u will have the wmlibeditor blocked on 0%.. this case is when (for example opening Dragon.wil) u get a new windows poping up but no images are displayed and the progress bar underneath is stuck on 0%..

solution:
this case happens because wmlibeditor seems not to know how to read lib2 wils.. so to fix this download hh8.. close the wmlibeditor.. open the hh8.. open the wil files that gives you the errors.. press "export all".. choose a destination folder where u want to save all the bmps which we will soon export.. dont change start idx and end idx.. press export and wait till it ends.. a chinese window will pop up to say it has ended.. now press "create new".. in image path choose the path u have exported the images before.. in filename choose the filename u want the wil to have.. select placement from file and images bmp and select create! Now u can close the HH8 and delete the image folder u have created..

Try opening the new wil with wmlibeditor and you should be able to read it!
[There is a very low chance of getting wmlibeditor saying "invalid pointer operation" error even after this steps.. in this case read the appropriate solution in a few lines]

2) Canvas does not allow drawing..
this happens when in the wil file there are some empty images without no details in.. wmlibeditor returns this errors and sometimes when viewing the wil if u get too deep in the empty images this error becames reduntant..

solution:
i have seen that using solution of problem n°1 u can fix also this kind of error so please read the solution i have written before..

3) Access violations errors:
this happen mostly because u have already an app like lomimageviewer reading the wil file you are trying to open with wmlibeditor.. BUT in some rare cases happens also for some reason i still didnt understand.. in this rare cases i have tryed to solve using solution of number 1's problem and some times works and some doesn't..

solution:
try solution number 1 for this or try solution number 4 which i will explain in a sec

4) Invalid Pointer Operation / Persistant Access violation error

solution:
in this cases u will need to use LomImageViewer (download here).. open it and open the wil file u are trying to fix.. Press Image -> Export Range
First image will be 0.. last image is the last u see under the images where u can read Image: 0 of xxx) and at the last window write 0.. choose a destination and press ok
Now browse into your mir data folder in search of a wil which is library 1.. to know if it is library 1 simply read it on the right side of lomimageviewer..
when u have a library type 1 file opened then press Image -> Build new library..
In the Image folder choose the parent folder holding the 0 folder.. for example if 0 folder is in C:\ then dont choose C:\0\ but only C:\
Choose the name u want to give to the file.. possible put the same name ending in .wil then in .wix
Now where it says End Image u must put in the value u have entered before when exporting.. then press Build!

If u still get invalid pointer or access violation then im sorry but i really dont know how to fix it then! (already happened to me too..)

5) When mass copying images from a wil file to another u get only a lot of black images and nothing more
This is the case when you have wmlibeditor opened with 3/4 files opened and when u try to select some images from one and copy them to the other u only get a bunch of black images with nothing inside.. this happens because the wil files u have opened are causing a memory problem in wmlibeditor..

solution:
to fix this u simply have to open less wils at a time.. this happens because wmlibeditor cannot copy to the clipboard for some reason due to the ammount of memory used in opening the wils.. i have seen that closing some of the opened wils fixes this problem but in some rare cases when u have very big wils opened like hum.wil u can't anyway copy and paste.. in this cases u will have to export the range of images u are interested in with lomimageviewer or hh8.. build a smaller wil with only those images and use that to work with wmlibeditor..

Lomimageviewer - Download Here
This is the most old mir application i remember of but at the same time it keeps on working with our recent files.. also the most recent library type 2..

Interface Explanation:
Interface is soo simply that im not going to explain it but i will explain instead some of its functions..

Under the image menu:
Export Range -
this allows u to export in mass the bmps contained in the wil file u have opened.. this function requires the start image of the export.. the end image of the export and a simbolic number for the folder name which i suggest to use 0 in case u dont want to have problems in building the library back.. in some cases when the images contained in the wil files are a lot u will have lomimageviewer generating other folders called +1 from the first u selected.. this means u might have folders like 0, 1, 2, 3 .. untill it doesnt export them all.. an example is when u try to export all the images inside a hum.wil or a weapon.wil.. in this case when u want to rebuild the library u have to simply choose the parent folder which holds all of this folders.. and lomimageviewer will do the rest.

Build New Library -
This allows to re-create a library with the exported images..
As i said image folder MUST be the parent folder.. if u have folder 0 in C:\ dont select C:\0\ but only C:\
Library name is easy to understand.. as start and end image..
Library type cannot be changed in this menu but there is a trick.. if u want the program to create a library 1 type then simply open a library 1 wil before building it.. if u want a lib 2 then open a more recent wil file which should most probably be a library 2.
Fast HDD IO Mode complies only a bit quicker the new library..

Colour Replace -
This allows u to change for a selected range of images a chosen colour to another.. this doesnt always work correctly and isnt always so easy so if u want to try this out do it on some backuped files..

Known Problems of LomImageViewer and how to fix:
1) When opening some wil/wix the program doesnt display nothing and in the lower left part u can read "Dimensions: 0x0 <empty slot>..

solution:
Fixing this is only possible with the use of HH8.. the steps u must take are the same ones u must take in fixing problem number 1 of wmlibeditor..

2) Error opening xyz.wil file
This is a really stupid problem.. it happens when another lomimageviewer is opened and it's reading the same wil you are trying to open..

solution:
Close one of the 2 lomimageviewers..

HH8 - Download Here
This is one of the most recent apps.. infact this is the most compatible and it can read most of the files and has u had chance to see if u have read all the document till now, it can fix most of the problems u get..

As far as i know.. i used this program a lot and i dont find it difficult at all.. interface is simple and quick to understand...

I don't know if this program has some typical errors as i didn't get any yet..

Last edited:

IceSlice

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 24, 2005
Under the Sea :O
Ok im pretty good with servers anyway, but the one thing i dont understand is the exp tbl. cause u cannot go over 32335 or sommet. so i know to do -1 but then th at gives 65535, now i want to be able to get around 40k.. so can someone post a quick guide on it.

Upvote 0

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
now open the m2server.exe.. wait it to load.. then click on its menu Options->Game

then if for example a mob has 10000exp and u want it to give u 40000exp then put in Mob EXP Multiplier 4.. be carefull.. if u already have a value here setted this means that u must think that all the values in the db are already setted to be multiplied with that value..

Upvote 0

IceSlice

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 24, 2005
Under the Sea :O
cheers mate helped **** loads, aint tested it yet jus re'dlin db, but i had a look and it looks promising so thanks.

gonna set my server live soon, but its just for ma mates n family but you will get like 2 step lag over ther.

Upvote 0