Setting up MSSQL 2005 and restoring databases

smoochy boys on tour

Kazuki

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 4, 2006
This is for all the people that need to use 2005, because some servers require it, and for those have to because some versions of Vista do not support MSSQL 2000.

Firstly you need to download the following 2 items;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en – MSSQL 2005 Express Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en – SQL Server Management Studio Express

Run the MSSQL exe first to start the install, it will extract the files and then continue onto the configuration, this is where you can set up your instance. Follow the installation through until you get to this window;

Now on this screen you name your instance. An instance is basically the SQL Server that all your databases will run on. You can have more than one if you are running more than one server, you just need to run the install again. Make sure you name the instance something that you will remember because it can be very important; I suggest naming it your server name.

Now on the next page, you are given the option to select your authentication mode. You need to select the 2nd radio button, ‘Mixed Mode’. Once you select that the 2 text boxes should become active to allow you to write your password in.

Make sure your password is something that you remember because it will be very important and needs to be entered into some of the gates configuration files.

On the next page you want to have ‘Enable User Instances’ ticked;

Then click next one the next 2 pages and then finally install on the 3rd page to start the installation. Once the installation has finished you are now ready to install the Studio Manager, this will allow you to connect to your instance and make databases.

Just install the Studio Manage as any other program, no setup changes should need changing, KEEP THEM DEFAULT.

Now run the Studio Manager. The first screen you should see is the ‘Connect to Server’ page where you enter all the details to connect to your instance.

Now under server name click the drop down box and click ‘<Browse for more…>’ which will open a file explorer. Expand ‘Database Engine’ and find your instance from the list. Notice your instance is;

name of your computer / name of instance – this is very important, because where you would normally put (local) in the server files for the SQL IP you need to put the server name that you use to connect.

Select SQL Server Authentication and then enter your username and password. The username is always ‘sa’ and the password is the password you entered during the installation.

Once you have connected successfully you should now be able to maintain your instance and see a screen like this.

Click on Databases and create the databases that you will need to run your server. (I will use the Philippine databases as an example because these are the only files I have that use MSSQL 2005) Right click and click ‘New Database’.

Newdatabase

Name your database whatever the server requires the databases to be called. Now you will need to restore your back ups into that database. So to do this you need to right click the database you just created;

Tasks > Restore > Database

Once you have done this a new window will appear, you need to select the ‘From device’ radio button, when you have done that click on the button across from ‘From device’ with 3 dots, a new window will then appear.

Select ‘File’ as your ‘Backup media’ and then click the ‘Add’ button. Find where your backup is located and then click ‘Ok’ and then ‘Ok’ again. The backup you selected should appear the white box at the button of the window; make sure you tick the ticket box next to the backup you selected.

Now you need to go into options on the left on the window, and tick ‘Overwrite the existing database’. Then click ‘Ok’ and the restore should begin.

Reactions: neo16uk

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
mdb file is 2.6 file. aka accesss. Not a sql database. Although this can be transferred.

Upvote 0

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I want to try the Ripman files. How do I restore the db then?

You don't use sql with lemon/ripman files. It's all done in the files themselfs aka mongen, npc's, merchants etc in text files in the envir folder. The items are done using access or or you can use the mdbviewer (which is in the files i think) to open the data folder in the envir folder which is the database.

Upvote 0

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
You don't use sql with lemon/ripman files. It's all done in the files themselfs aka mongen, npc's, merchants etc in text files in the envir folder. The items are done using access or or you can use the mdbviewer (which is in the files i think) to open the data folder in the envir folder which is the database.

I thought only lifco's files worked without any DB. Tried it and works.

Upvote 0

MariaTK

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2010
If it is a key of king3g .. if I change the language .. that key put? Me her to be able to happen?

Upvote 0

Sphortex

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2006
how do u know if u have restored the data base send me pm and having problem connecting it with m2server in the ini or txt files the pass an user are correct dunno what else it could be ???help !

Upvote 0

shaungaz123

LOMCN n00bie
May 26, 2010
Thanks for the guide.

I'm esentially just trying to get a euro copy up and running to have a play with.

Anyway I've already got the DB files from Tai and I've downloaded studio manager. However I'm having problems creating an instance.

I keep getting this error message.

error msg.jpg

I think it may be due to this guide missing some steps in the updated program since 2008?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Studio Manager is fine in its own right but this won't give you a SQL Server. You need to get an instance of MSSQLExpress installed and running. This is what actually holds the database and tables.
Visit here, scroll down and choose the version you want. Once you get it installed, you'll be able to open and view it in Management Studio.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=SQLEXPRESS

Upvote 0

oodlsk78

LOMCN Rookie
May 29, 2018

백업 위치를 찾고 '확인'을 클릭 한 다음 '확인'을 다시 클릭하십시오. 선택한 백업이 창에있는 버튼에 흰색 상자로 나타납니다. 선택한 백업 옆에있는 티켓 상자를 확인하십시오.

이제 창 왼쪽에있는 옵션으로 가서 "기존 데이터베이스 덮어 쓰기"를 선택해야합니다. 그런 다음 '확인'을 클릭하여 복원을 시작하십시오.

설치
하는 데 모든 것을 했습니다 백업 파일없이 백업 파일을 만드는 방법은 무엇입니까?
파일을 선택할 수 없기 때문에 연결할 수 없습니다.
네가 나에게 좀 더 자세한 지침을 줄 수 있다면 고마워.

추가 정보가 있으면 감사하겠습니다. 자세한 지침.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
---------- Post Merged at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:19 PM ----------

백업 위치를 찾고 '확인'을 클릭 한 다음 '확인'을 다시 클릭하십시오. 선택한 백업이 창에있는 버튼에 흰색 상자로 나타납니다. 선택한 백업 옆에있는 티켓 상자를 확인하십시오.

이제 창 왼쪽에있는 옵션으로 가서 "기존 데이터베이스 덮어 쓰기"를 선택해야합니다. 그런 다음 '확인'을 클릭하여 복원을 시작하십시오.

설치
하는 데 모든 것을 했습니다 백업 파일없이 백업 파일을 만드는 방법은 무엇입니까?
파일을 선택할 수 없기 때문에 연결할 수 없습니다.
네가 나에게 좀 더 자세한 지침을 줄 수 있다면 고마워.

추가 정보가 있으면 감사하겠습니다. 자세한 지침.

Find your backup location, click 'OK' and click 'OK' again. The selected backup appears as a white box on the button in the window. Check the ticket box next to the backup you selected.

You should now go to the option on the left side of the window and select "Overwrite existing database". Then click 'OK' to start the restore.

install
Is there any way to create a backup file without a backup file?
Can not connect because the file can not be selected.
Thank you if you can give me more detailed instructions.
I would appreciate any additional information. Detailed instructions.

Upvote 0