server lag

Zaron

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2003
just need a wee bit of help with this please :)
my current pc is
AMD Athlon 2.0
512 DDR ram
Win XP

i can run the server fine over my lan but if i log on to my char on the server PC i get majour lag.
so i woulld like to know

1) is there anyway to stop the lag when i log onto the pc
2)how many players could i host with my current PC
3)what could i buy to improve the server (eg ram or whatever :P )

thx in advance :)

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
Hmm you should be able to host at least 50 people on a server with those specs m8 maby more and im not sure about the lagg out. Also to improve it if you really want to (even though u dont really need to) you can get some more ram.

/Miles

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
To stop lag you could also reduce mob spawns and take out some NPC's that are not being used

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Yes, its usually stuff that doesnt get used, like too many mobs roaming about, try taking some out

Zaron

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2003
well ive deleted all the mongen mobs and only kept the mobs which i am using. However it didnt seam to make any difference :(

any other ideas pls? :)

LeoCrasher

Yea, you will ALWAYS get lag if playing on the same PC as the Server is hosted on. You should only access the server pc from a remote location - where it will be lagless.

/Leo

Zaron

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2003
so what would i need to host 90 players+?

LeoCrasher

esentially... a big fat internet pipe. PC specs really don't matter as much as the pipe.

Your looking at least a 512k upload (Most ADSL conections in the UK have 256k upload, even the 2mb+download ones).

/Leo

LeoCrasher

...(just checked up IP). And since your on a cable servive known as BlueYonder, you have a slower upload than most other DSL'ers. (Under 256k).

/Leo

Zaron

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2003
so blue yonder is pants? lol

also can u pm me with my ip pls as i duno how 2 check 4 it :(

LeoCrasher

BluyYonder, no matter what your download speed (2mb in ur case), still has an upload speed of less than 256k.

/Leo

Chicken

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2004
Yup Blueyonder is only gud for people who likes to download... and its always online thats the gud thing dun have to connect to the net.

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
hmm you hav basicallt the same computer as me :P but ive got amd 2100+ xp :P and wen i host my server its fine even with me on it ;) but i dont run logdatasrv.exe :P maybe u cud try that

Reno

by has a 128kb/upload compared to NTL's 256 along with other providers.

logic3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 17, 2003
So what causes Lag Spikes? i get them every 15-20mins and its only me and my M8 on the PC:

1ghz AMD Athlon
512m RAM
600k NTL bband

o.O?