opinions of this barebone system

smoochy boys on tour

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
iam going to upgrade my system at the end of january just to a x2 cpu with ddr2 ram

iam looking at this:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-X24626M

seems like an ok budget system, has what i want, i want an amd chip as ive been using amd for years and years, i will be adding another 2 gig of 800mhz ram to the machine

just wanted opinions on the system is it any good ? and will it cope with the up to date games that are out like call of duty 4 etc ?

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
CPU is ok, may be limiting if you intent to put a high end graphics card inplace with high detail on games. 4GB of ram will require a 64 bit OS. Overclocking may be a bit of a problem, looks like it is a cheap-o piss poor motherboard thrown in. Onboard graphics is crappy and 400W PSU may become a limiter if intending to use a good graphics card.

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
CPU is ok, may be limiting if you intent to put a high end graphics card inplace with high detail on games. 4GB of ram will require a 64 bit OS. Overclocking may be a bit of a problem, looks like it is a cheap-o piss poor motherboard thrown in. Onboard graphics is crappy and 400W PSU may become a limiter if intending to use a good graphics card.

Oo i didnt know you had to run a 64 bit os if you have 4 gig of ram ?

i dont intend to overclock there is no need to tbh mate

iam thinking of just a budget graphics card anyway something like 8600gt 512 or something sim to it about 70 squid

ive got a 600wat psu in current pc psu is only a month old so ile just use that one as the novatech ones are noisy and have a tendancy to not work all the time lol

agreed mobo is abit toss but it will do for a while for what i want it for

thanks for the comments mate

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
If you can find an 8800gt 512mb for less than 170, you'd be f***ing lucky lol

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
personaly id rather start from scratch , then you know exactly what your putting in + if you look around u can get 2gb ddr2 ram for 45 quid on overclockers and a better motherboard for 35 then that on overclockers.

so rly just be as cheap to get your own and better equipment for money.

spence

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 30, 2004
Because they draw you in with the cheap price untill you realise the components are actually not that good.

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
Why are barebones actually used tbh? I've always wondered.

because you may only want to upgrade your mobo cpu etc but the rest of your components are good so you just strip them out and put them in the barebone system and hey presto

and spence, thats not the reason lol, if you only wanted to upgrade ram and cpu but your main board did not support the new x2 cpus and ddr2 /ddr3 ram you would do a barebone upgrade rather then buy a whole new pc system when you dont need to