Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9 / 2.3

Join Discord

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9

Apparently there is no working guide on how to do this on 1.9 and i figured this out a couple of days ago, there are a few ways to set this up it all depends on how you plan to host. This guide will explain how to set it up so you can play on the same PC or over a LAN, i will also explain how to set up a no ip service for people who have a dynamic ip.

First of all you will need to set up your network to have a static ip, if your not sure how to do this research it or ask help in another thread (by network i mean your conection to the router and/or your LAN)

Once that is done here comes the fun part, at this point there are a few options.

Hosting over the internet and playing on the same machine:
Go through all your ip's and make sure they are all set to 127.0.0.1

Hosting over the internet with a router and playing on another pc conected to the same router:
Set all your ip's in your files (except for anything to do with the reg server) to the ip address your computer uses on the network.

Hosting over the internet with a router but playing over a seperate LAN:
Set all your files (excpet for the reg server) to your second networks ip address (may begin with somthing like 169.254.xxx.xxx).

This next part looks at setting up a no ip service for use with dynamic ip internet conections, if you have a static ip internet skip to the next part.

Firstly go to This address and sign up there for your no ip account, once signed up log in.

Now you will need to add a new service, on the left of the screen you will see an area labled "Hosts/Redirects" click on add. The next screen is where you set a name for your service, try to keep it short since problem can occur with long names (if you can shorten the begining of the host name to 4 or 5 characters)

Once this is set up go into the downloads section and get the no ip dynamic ip client and install it. Once installed you need to give it some information, set it up with the e-mail address and password you used to create your no ip account, once opend you should see the host service you created infront of you, click the tick box for it to update the the ip address constanntly (set intervals)

Once this is done go into the option and set it to run as a system service, this way it reloads and updates the ip every time you reboot your pc, you can also set the interval in the options, i would recomend an interval of 15 mins.

The next section goes into setting up the server with the no ip address, if you have a static ip internet use your internet ip inplace where the guide says.

Go into the DBServer and load up !serverinfo.txt it will look somthing like this

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 7200

change the second ip address with the no ip address you just made (example
127.0.0.1 tevo.no-ip.org 7200 ) save and close that.

Now go into your Login Server and load up !addrtable.txt it should look somthing like this

Foundation Foundation 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1:7100

change the second and third ips with the no ip service you created (example
Foundation Foundation 127.0.0.1 tevo.no-ip.org tevo.no-ip.org:7100 ) save and close that.

Now go into your mir200 folder and load up !runaddr.txt it should look like this

change it to the no ip service you made (example
tevo.no-ip.org ) save and close that.

The next part looks at hexing your client manualy in order for it to use the no ip service (the ledu ip changer will not work) if you have a static ip for your internet use the ledu ip changer, for people setting up the no ip hex i would recomend using the ledu ip changer first and set your server name correctly and the ip as 127.0.0.1

Now open your exe in your prefered hex editor, this example shows it in Hex Workshop. Search the exe for a text string as your server name (eg search for Foundation) it should look somthing like this:
Example1.JPG

The red circled "09" is the length of the string, if you are not familiar with hexing here is a little tip. As you can see the string length is 9 characters long (127.0.0.1) and your thinking a 10 length string is set as "10"? nope, Hexing uses letters A - F aswell so if the string was 10 long it would be "0A", setting it as 10 will make it think the string is 16 characters long.

Hex the ip manualy with your no ip address you made (example tevo.no-ip.org) and set the apropiate length, save and close that. this exe is for any 1 conecting to your server over the internet, for you to play over a lan you will need a seperate exe with the ip set to the ip address of the PC hosting over the network. Then you will need to use MirConfig to bind the exe to your dll, load up mirconfig, choose the exe and dll and set the password (more than likley pie) and click save.

This final section applies the final changes needed to make everythng effective. Load up your DB server, you will see 3 buttons at the bottom click on the far right one you will then get a screen looking somthing like this
Example2.JPG

you will need to set the ip how it is set in your server files in the highlighted area below
Example3.JPG

click apply and close then close your db server.

next load up your login server and double click in the white area at the top, you should get a screen like this
Example4.JPG

copy the text highlighted into the box below and change the ip to how it is set in your server files (be careful, it should looklike " serverip:7100") and check the box next to it save then close that.

Now your server should be set up correctly to be accessed over the internet and LAN if you have a friend that nice enough to test it over the internet go ahead and trial it over the LAN at the same time, if you have any problems i will try my best to help you out.

/Anon

Requests stickie ^^

Last edited:

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
Re: Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9

when hosting on lan, isnt 127.0.0.1 enough? and then making him connect to my network ip? wont work for me, something to do with router?

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

Not really sure I fully understand your question. If hosting over a lan, setting the IP addresses will only give local access.

Upvote 0

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003

im setting up a lan for a few friends, usually when i used 1.4 files in older times 127.0.0.1 was enough as local ip, im hosting locally only. for some reason they dont get past login

my question is, ne diff in setting up 1.9 ip wize, shouldnt it work? and a router, shouldnt it only be blocking ports to external ip's ie internet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

It shouldnt do, but as i said if you set the IP addresses to 127.0.0.1 you will not have LAN access

Upvote 0

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007

when hexing what woulkd be the sting for 15 would it be 9a?

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

Sorry, didn't see that you posted. Incase you're still trying to work it out it would be 0F

Upvote 0

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK

for the people who want to know how to set there router up for port forwarding you need to

forward ports 3000 7000 7100 7200 to your internal ip address (you dont need to forward port 3000 to get the files to work as port 3000 is the port the server stat and player count monitors use.

port forwarding guides for just about every router on the market can be found here:

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

enjoy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK

2.3 files online setup

dbserver folder serverinfo txt file

internal ip your external ip 7200 (space inbetween each entry)

Gamegate folder config file

[GameGate]
Title=Diamond <----- change to your server name
ServerAddr=127.0.0.1
ServerPort=5000
GateAddr=servers internal ip,, usually 192.168.0.* if on a router or 127.0.0.1 if not
GatePort=7200
ShowLogLevel=10
ShowBite=0
ServerCheckTimeOut=180000
ClientSendBlockSize=500
MaxConnOfIPaddr=50
BlockMethod=0
MaxClientPacketSize=6420
NomClientPacketSize=190
MaxClientMsgCount=100
kickOverPacket=1
ClientTimeOutTime=5000

Login server folder - addrtable txt file

Diamond Diamond 127.0.0.1 your external ip your external ip:7100

(change server names to yours , change internal ip to yours)

M2server folder

runaddr txt file

your external ip

servertable txt file

; Followings have to be arrayed by server no.
;server no. connect-addr port
0 external ip 7200

this will get the server online, all the other ips in the files need to be set to your internal ip, 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.*.* if on a router or left alone if they display 0.0.0.0

for lan playing you need the files above to have your internal ip on them 192.168.*.* and ports wil still need to be forwarded , for lan play the client mir2.exe will need the internal ip in its config / ini files.

cheers

Upvote 0