[Guide] Setting up 2.3 Server on Windows 7

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
It's pretty much the same as every other windows.

1st step: Download 2.3 server files

Download Link 2.3 server files

2nd Step: Setting up sql 2000 or 2005

Some people say sql 2005 causes problems in game such as lagging and causing the gates to crash. This is because 2.3 server files are out dated and suite sql 2000 more. However, some people have managed to get sql 2005 working without any problems but i'd personally use 2000 as it doesn't take as much space as 2005 does. Anyway, i will leave a download link for both of the sqls for you to decide. People have said sql 2000 don't work on windows 7 but i've got it working in a little way(Be the same for vista).

Download link SQL 2000

Here's a SQL 2000 install guide thread link (Scroll down to STEP 3)

Make a folder on your desktop call it anything you wish and extract the contents inside the .rar into the folder you made. Open the folder and instead of clicking autorun.exe, click the setup.bat and let it run.. You will get a black popup that will appear for no more than 2 seconds and disappear and then the install will begin. You might even get a popup saying you havn't installed it properly or its out of date but choose to ignore it, it will install fine.

Download link SQL 2005

Here's a SQL 2005 install guide thread link

Download and then run to install SQL 2005, pretty basic.

Step 3: Download SQL 2005 Express Edition

Download link SQL 2005 Express Edition

This you will need for both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 to run. Again download and run it to install, pretty basic. Incase you get confused, i know it is sql 2005 express edition but you will need it also for sql 2000 so you don't get StarterTimer error in DBServer.exe.

Step 5: Restoring db
In the install sql install guides there should be a guide telling you how to restore your db in both sql versions. I found out in these 2.3 server files it doesn't have a sql 2000 backup db so here's a download link for incase you use sql 2000.

Here's the download link for DB sql 2000

Optional: Converting DB from 2000 to 2005
It's pretty simple just right click your db in sql 2000 and click backup and save the file anywhere on your pc. Then go in sql 2005 and make new db > right click > All tasks > restore db and should work fine.

Optional: Converting DB from 2005 to 2000
This one's a little tricky. You will need BOTH sql 2000 and sql 2005 installed, it can be done , just download and install both of them. Go in sql 2000 make a new db and then right click > all tasks > import data. Should be a import/export wizard pop up click next > in the Server drop down list select "Name-PC\SQLEXPRESS" > tick the "Use SQL Server authentication" put in username "sa" and the password you used from sql 2005 installation > in the database drop down list select the db from 2005 want to transfer over to 2000. Click next > Leave Server as (Local) > Select "Use SQL Server authentication" > put in username "sa" and the password you used from sql 2000 installation and click next then click next again. Then should be a list of all tables you are converting over to 2000 click select all and click next and next again and then finish. Then you are done :)

Hope you found this useful.

Last edited:

rebellionmir

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2008
WOW thanks for uide but when i click setup for sql 2000 it says Another instanc of setup is already running when i've already checked theres nothing else installing
------------------------
sorted that but now w setup the curso turns into the blue circle to show somethings happening but then nothing actully happens afterwards, any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
WOW thanks for uide but when i click setup for sql 2000 it says Another instanc of setup is already running when i've already checked theres nothing else installing

Check if you have any previous sqls installed; go to control panel > untistall a program and remove any microsoft sql 2000 or 2005 and make sure you restart your pc after to complete the unistall process. Then try reinstalling again.

sorted that but now w setup the curso turns into the blue circle to show somethings happening but then nothing actully happens afterwards, any ideas?

Could you please show me a screenshot, don't really know which bit you are on about.

Upvote 0

Chris22

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
------------------------

W setup ? Be more specific please

Upvote 0

rebellionmir

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2008
sorry i mean when i click setup.bat to instSQL 2000 the black dialog box comes up and it asks me permission to run and after i click run program nothing happens. ill try upload a screenshot. btw i have teamviewer if any1 can help using team viewer i would be grateful

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
sorry i mean when i click setup.bat to instSQL 2000 the black dialog box comes up and it asks me permission to run and after i click run program nothing happens. ill try upload a screenshot. btw i have teamviewer if any1 can help using team viewer i would be grateful

Ok i could take a look for you, pm me your msn.

h

Upvote 0

Chris22

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
sorry i mean when i click setup.bat to instSQL 2000 the black dialog box comes up and it asks me permission to run and after i click run program nothing happens. ill try upload a screenshot

Win 7 and vista have a system called user account controls it can sometimes restrict the installation of some older programs because they are not certified by user account controls which has only been on vista and win 7.

To disable it, go control panel, user accounts and family safety, user accounts, change user account control settings.

Upvote 0

rebellionmir

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2008
okay done that thanks im just download express edition and gnna finish off the steps. hopefully it will work. pmed u hustler

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rebellionmir

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2008
Finished its all working but i cant get online, it all works but when i try to log on it says Kick Off: 92.168.xxx

Upvote 0

Chris22

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Finished its all working but i cant get online, it all works but when i try to log on it says Kick Off: 92.168.xxx

Might be m2server kicking you because your over speed, ie the server thinks your speed hacking.

Go into your m2server application in options, game, game speed, and make sure kick speed hackers is unchecked.

Upvote 0

rebellionmir

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2008
done thanks and ive got it online but my friend cant get past the charselection screen, when he presses start the notice doesnt come up (the okscreen).

Upvote 0

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
Ok well this is for a mir3 server i've imported Account and Hero3G but it wont let me import Game3G, here is a pic

Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Ok well this is for a mir3 server i've imported Account and Hero3G but it wont let me import Game3G, here is a pic

I havn't ever set up a mir3 server however i should think it's done the same way in sql so i could take a look for you.

Upvote 0

CBA2POT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
hey, i was just trying it out on crusade files because i need to convert the crusade db but when i try install studio management express says it wont run on my os (w7). ny ideas on how to get round it?

Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
hey, i was just trying it out on crusade files because i need to convert the crusade db but when i try install studio management express says it wont run on my os (w7). ny ideas on how to get round it?

I've never had this problem before as i'm also using windows 7 and everything is functioning well but a screenshot would've helped. However, I can take a look for you if you want.

Upvote 0