Setting up MSSQL 2005 and restoring databases

Kazuki

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 4, 2006
This is for all the people that need to use 2005, because some servers require it, and for those have to because some versions of Vista do not support MSSQL 2000.

Firstly you need to download the following 2 items;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en – MSSQL 2005 Express Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en – SQL Server Management Studio Express

Run the MSSQL exe first to start the install, it will extract the files and then continue onto the configuration, this is where you can set up your instance. Follow the installation through until you get to this window;

Now on this screen you name your instance. An instance is basically the SQL Server that all your databases will run on. You can have more than one if you are running more than one server, you just need to run the install again. Make sure you name the instance something that you will remember because it can be very important; I suggest naming it your server name.

Now on the next page, you are given the option to select your authentication mode. You need to select the 2nd radio button, ‘Mixed Mode’. Once you select that the 2 text boxes should become active to allow you to write your password in.

Make sure your password is something that you remember because it will be very important and needs to be entered into some of the gates configuration files.

On the next page you want to have ‘Enable User Instances’ ticked;

Then click next one the next 2 pages and then finally install on the 3rd page to start the installation. Once the installation has finished you are now ready to install the Studio Manager, this will allow you to connect to your instance and make databases.

Just install the Studio Manage as any other program, no setup changes should need changing, KEEP THEM DEFAULT.

Now run the Studio Manager. The first screen you should see is the ‘Connect to Server’ page where you enter all the details to connect to your instance.

Now under server name click the drop down box and click ‘<Browse for more…>’ which will open a file explorer. Expand ‘Database Engine’ and find your instance from the list. Notice your instance is;

name of your computer / name of instance – this is very important, because where you would normally put (local) in the server files for the SQL IP you need to put the server name that you use to connect.

Select SQL Server Authentication and then enter your username and password. The username is always ‘sa’ and the password is the password you entered during the installation.

Once you have connected successfully you should now be able to maintain your instance and see a screen like this.

Click on Databases and create the databases that you will need to run your server. (I will use the Philippine databases as an example because these are the only files I have that use MSSQL 2005) Right click and click ‘New Database’.

Newdatabase

Name your database whatever the server requires the databases to be called. Now you will need to restore your back ups into that database. So to do this you need to right click the database you just created;

Tasks > Restore > Database

Once you have done this a new window will appear, you need to select the ‘From device’ radio button, when you have done that click on the button across from ‘From device’ with 3 dots, a new window will then appear.

Select ‘File’ as your ‘Backup media’ and then click the ‘Add’ button. Find where your backup is located and then click ‘Ok’ and then ‘Ok’ again. The backup you selected should appear the white box at the button of the window; make sure you tick the ticket box next to the backup you selected.

Now you need to go into options on the left on the window, and tick ‘Overwrite the existing database’. Then click ‘Ok’ and the restore should begin.

Reactions: neo16uk

Trapped1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 21, 2008
Woo finally, cheers m8.

No more remote desktop connection for test server :D

/Reborn

Upvote 0

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Stickied. Nice work. Will help people with Vista that require them to use 2005 instead of 2000.

EDIT - now added all the MSSQL related stuff into one sticky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_Legend

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 23, 2009
im using this type of SQL, but its not lettin my M2 or DB connect to it, username and pass correct and its local. i dont see whats up =/

i get starttimerexception, and the m2 ends on loading items

Upvote 0

The_Legend

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 23, 2009
any1 know why my files rnt connecting to my database.

i enterd database name,
local
user
pass

im using these 2005 files.

Upvote 0

Nikx

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 1, 2008
Lol ... i keep getting errors. .. cuase i reinstalled it .. any help ?

Upvote 0

CBA2POT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
yeh i keep getting a problem, i can download download MSSQL 2005, but when i try to download Management Studio Express it says it doesnt support my os (W7) and i really need it so i can import one of the db's into sql 2000

Upvote 0

Chris22

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
yeh i keep getting a problem, i can download download MSSQL 2005, but when i try to download Management Studio Express it says it doesnt support my os (W7) and i really need it so i can import one of the db's into sql 2000

You may need the larger one x64 if you have a higher spec pc you may be running a 64 bit operating system its just the way it send packets of code to your cpu should be fine with the other one.

Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
You may need the larger one x64 if you have a higher spec pc you may be running a 64 bit operating system its just the way it send packets of code to your cpu should be fine with the other one.

Works fine for me in 32 and 64 bit screen so that can't be the problem.

Upvote 0

CBA2POT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
k got it working but in sql 2000 when i click import, the db i need isnt there, how can i make the db in sql 2005 im rubbish with it, 2000 is so much easier :S

Upvote 0

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
The DB needs to be in your C:/ drive and in drop down list pick 'Show all files'. However, if you are using crusades db it will only work in sql 2005 but you can convert it to 2000 just read my thread and it tells you how.

h

Upvote 0

CBA2POT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
thats exactly what im tryig to do, i need to convert crusade to work for sql 2000, i cant see 'all files' in the drop down list.

p.s its arvand

Upvote 0