Belkin DSL router setup guide (untested)

smoochy boys on tour

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
OK this is a ****er of a guide and will need some testing to amkre sure it works, but i reckon we should be ok.

If at any point during doing this you find yourself unable to access the internet, stop what you are doing, and reset all settings back to what they were. Then PM me, or post here what happened and how you got the problem

K lets get started.

Static IP setup (within the router itself)

1. Open up your browser and enter this IP: 192.168.2.1

2. This will connect you to the router software, the password is blank by default, if yours has been changed you need to find it out and enter it.

3. Once ur into the router panel, find the firewall tab on the left and side and select "DMZ" its a good idea to have firewall protection on your machine as this may leave you open to hackers)

4. On the left hand side you will see a series of four menus. In the one titled LAN click Lan Settings

5. All your intrested in here is the IP Pool Ending Address, IPS can be assigned up to xx.xx.xx.254 so set the IP Pool Ending Address to 192.168.2.249.

The reason is, the router automatically sets your IP's by removing this pool of 5 ipst from 249-254 it means no other computers can be assigned these IP's and cause a conflict with your server comp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This concludes the part in the router, save all settings then exit-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we need to sort out the static IP on your computer. THis si something i cant help you with as these numbers are pesonalised to you and only you, so u gotta find and enter them yourself.

1. open up network connections, find your current internet connections, and right click it, go to properties, then once in there, find the TCP/IP, highlight it by clicking, then click the properties button.

2. it should be set to "obtain an IP automatically".

3. leave the properties window open and go to MS-DOS command promet (in the start menu under "accessories"

4. In the command prompt type "IPCONFIG /ALL" without the quotes. Then you have to note down these numbers:

Subnet mask
Default gateway
DNS servers

5. Go back to the TCP/IP settings, select "assign an IP" and enter the following info

IP: 192.168.2.254
DNS: as noted from the IO config
Subnet mask: As noted from IPconfig
Default gateway: As noted from IP config

once all this is entered save the changes and exit it (it will now ask you to restart) ****NOTE FFS: If you cannot connect after making these changes, then set it back to "obtain an IP automatically"****

--------------------------------------------That concludes this part of the tutorial------------------------------------------Restart and make sure u can still connect----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your back and reading this and ur settings are ok, then good for you, this should heopefully enable yur server to work propery now, all you need to do is configure the files correctly and to do this here are the intructions:

**Global IP's can be obtianed from www.whatismyip.net (on ADSL your IP will change everytime u reconnect)

\MirServer\Mir200\!runaddr.txt
*Your global IP Here*

\MirServer\Mir200\!servertable.txt

;';' means Comment
; Followings have to be arrayed by server no.
;server no. connect-addr port connect-addr port.
1 *Your global IP Here* 7200

\MirServer\Mud2\DBSrv200\!serverinfo.txt

192.168.2.254 *Your global IP Here* 7200

\MirServer\Mud2\Logsrv\!addrtable.txt

;No Space Allowed
;Server Title Remote SelChr Public IP RunGate Public IP:Gate
[ServerName] Line1-7 192.168.2.254 *Your global IP Here* *Your global IP Here*:7100

NOw im not 100% sure but this should work, i took a while to get this guide up and running so if people would be so kind as to help me out by saying if it works or not i would be greateful.

I dont own a belkin router so i cant test myself, i had to trwal trhough sites to find out some of the info etc.

But here it is and i hope it helps some people.

/Atomicide.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
That IP is known as your "global IP"

you get 2 kinds of IP

Internal IP - this is assigned by your router and is used by your router and other computers on the network to identify you

Global IP - To keep it simple lets say this is like your postcode,its an IP assigned to you by your ISP (internet service provided: wanadoo, AOL etc), this IP is used to identify you across the world.

Rizzla

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
Works for me, people can connect to my server via the external ip...
but...
i can't connect, i've used the external ip, internal ip and the loopback ip (127.0.0.1) none of it will allow me to connect

Rizzla

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
still doesn't work :(

PC 1 is hosting the server
PC 2 is used for playing

on PC 2, i can create an account, but the gates won't open
they open for other people who aren't on the network, just not me :(

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
that loopback method only works if you are playing it on the same computer... not on lan.

you need a new router that supports loopback.

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
atmoicide u got msn mate so i can speak 2 u on ther i got belking:S but conffused