How to recover from 3in1 killing your internet (windows XP)

Join Discord

BabyBear

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 19, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex.
As some of you know 3in1 can cause a right **** up in windows XP regarding your TCP/IP Protocol Driver causing DHCP and other crictical processes from starting which all lies down to 3in1 corrupting Winsock.

Basically a simple process will recover the problem, but not stop it from happening.

Firstly Click start -> run

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Find Winsock and Winsock2 keys and Delete them both, exit then reboot.

After your computer has restarted;

Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

Finally restart your computer again and your computer will function as normal.

BabyBear

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 19, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex.
was going to say - it hangs for ages upon boot up but eventually comes back to life, thats due to the processes it actually is trying to start have prioty - thus the system as to wait.

Upvote 0

Nick86

LOMCN Leecher
May 1, 2005
what do i type in when ive clicked run? :P
If i type in HKEY... it says not valid or something to that effect

Upvote 0

uKnOwZiT

LOMCN Leecher
Apr 28, 2005
i'v done this but as i use win98 on my other pc which i tryed making an offline server on, the internet is still F***ed. any idears to help me out?

Edit: got it storted now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Nick86 said:
what do i type in when ive clicked run? :P
If i type in HKEY... it says not valid or something to that effect
You type regedit and press enter. Then navigate to HKEY\.... etc

Upvote 0

sirchrist

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 23, 2005
Poole Dorset
ok lol i have a random problem lol im runing 2 comps on windows XP pro and im hosting a serve ron 1 of them with the modem and i want 2 play on my other comp but its not reciving connection from this comp can ne 1 help cos im reli :S and every 1 i have spoke 2 havent been able 2 help so far lol :S:S:S:S:S:SS:SS:SS:S:S:S but i can c the comps fro, each comps :S the shared docs bit :S SOME 1 HELP ME PLEASE!

Upvote 0

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
sirchrist said:
ok lol i have a random problem lol im runing 2 comps on windows XP pro and im hosting a serve ron 1 of them with the modem and i want 2 play on my other comp but its not reciving connection from this comp can ne 1 help cos im reli :S and every 1 i have spoke 2 havent been able 2 help so far lol :S:S:S:S:S:SS:SS:SS:S:S:S but i can c the comps fro, each comps :S the shared docs bit :S SOME 1 HELP ME PLEASE!
Post in server help.

Upvote 0

Craig321

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 1, 2004
In your control panel Demonfist.

Also, thanks BabyBear. This has helped me twice now :)

Craig.

Upvote 0

wardy484

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 3, 2005
i cant seem to follow them because i cant find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Upvote 0

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
wardy484 said:
i cant seem to follow them because i cant find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
You have to manually navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

in the regedit.

NOTE: It should be Services without the space

Upvote 0

wardy484

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 3, 2005
kk found them but what format of file are they cuz i dont wanna delete anything that cud screw up my pc oh wait no i havent i cannnot find them at all i have looked all ova my hd but i cannot find them

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
wardy484 said:
kk found them but what format of file are they cuz i dont wanna delete anything that cud screw up my pc oh wait no i havent i cannnot find them at all i have looked all ova my hd but i cannot find them

Click start, then click run, and type in "regedit" without the quotation marks, and then navigate to the hkey_localmachine.... etc.

Upvote 0