Should you need to Donate to keep a server up?

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
As above,

I feel you should only ask for money from players to host the server & the players should know ware there money is going i.e Server hosteing cost's, You shouldent ask people to donate for items thats just greedy!

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Good spelling :P

Well with that we have people then saying "why should I donate? What will I gain from this?" then answer will be nothing. People don't make you donate for you to play the server, donating these days on servers just gives you a big advantage.

This thread has been posted number of times before.

Spoon666

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 12, 2005
South West Wales
I don't agree with making items to sell but i like the idea of selling banned chars and items to cover costs. If you can buy any item you want it takes the whole point of the game away

>DMX<

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
Manchester
Way i see it people are bringing up servers through their own choice, they know whether or not they will need to pay to support it that isnt are problem. Thing is i think people are just greedy and use the word "donations" to cover up the fact they are benefitting from it quite succesfully and making quick $$.

Supose if there was a way to set it up where you knew exactly the money was paying for server costs and i enjoyed it, id support the server.

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Way i see it people are bringing up servers through their own choice, they know whether or not they will need to pay to support it that isnt are problem. Thing is i think people are just greedy and use the word "donations" to cover up the fact they are benefitting from it quite succesfully and making quick $$.

Supose if there was a way to set it up where you knew exactly the money was paying for server costs and i enjoyed it, id support the server.

If they put the time into the server, surely its their choice if they benefit from it or not.

Simularly its your choice if you wish to donate, or if you wish to play.

Lucafer

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 15, 2008
Newbury,Berks
i think if u host a server then u sud b sure u can support it urself as no1 makes ne1 host/create a server. but if sum1 wants to donate to a server then its upto them, i dnt think the host/gm sud ask for donations neway and if they get to the point where they cnt support it then they sud decide wut to do on there own terms. cuz if hosts wanted people to donate then they might aswell charge people to play (ie euro).and in that case they run servers for the wrong reasons as mir isnt excatly a get rich quick game.(well sum servers have prob made alot of money off donations not saying ne names but we all no who they r)

If you like a server, support it.

i agree with supporting a server but with in reason

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Donations will always be there, and its a nice gesture to donate.

But servers should not sell items, levels etc for the donators. People will always want something back from donations... but doesnt that take away the whole point of "Donating"?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
i think its fine for certain objects..

Examples
  • Donaters Item- works like mir items every 10 levels stats change.. to your level, dura 5/5, non repairable, non tradeable, non dropable.
  • Custom Title
  • Coloured name
  • Customised GT NPC's - Donate for your guild to get extra features in GT, mines, pet leveling, potshop...
  • Item Rename
  • Quicker Refine time? - 1 hour not 2
  • Donaters para/clear/pro/rev - same as donaters item.. but d1/1

Nothing there in my books actually effects server soo bad that people leave.. coz nothing which can effect gameplay is forever.. and things they do effect game play just need to have one HUGE disadvantage, non repairable, breakable on death.. etc.

IF a server had this, id habe no issues with it recieving donations.... as you couldnt charge £100 for all of that.. unless ur a stinge.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
If you cant afford to run your server dont be a mug and start making one? Simple. I dont think lomcn should allow any donate servers what so ever to advertise on here. Its about time lomcn start putting thier foot down.

/Zen2

noisound

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 23, 2004
way i see it as

if you donate there should be a donate system where you can only recive certain things, not uber items cus tht would just make it unfair.

stuff like

house's, pets , exp potions imo

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
Pay donations directly to dedi host.

Send proof to server owner.

Get item or whatever you are wasting your money on.

/end.

Damian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
There are hundreds of servers that have donation systems, and
im not just talking about mir, so why should mir be any different?

Nobody puts a knife to your throat and makes you donate, if you
dont like the way a server treats donatees then choose to play
a different server.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
If you cant afford to run your server dont be a mug and start making one? Simple. I dont think lomcn should allow any donate servers what so ever to advertise on here. Its about time lomcn start putting thier foot down.

/Zen2

I will close Project69 because I cannot support it myself. Wow on that logic I should have closed it down 4 years ago. I enjoy it but I don't enjoy it that much

Money goes where money wants to go. Hosting a server is nothing short of running a small business

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
i think if u host a server then u sud b sure u can support it urself as no1 makes ne1 host/create a server.
What bollocks, so your quite happy to play a server, but the people who put time into it shouldnt receive a optional donation because noone forced them to make it? Finish primary school and learn your basic language if your going to even try to contribute.

Its exactly as scorpian says, if they made the server, its their choice how it works, dont like it, dont play it.

You create law in an industry which is built on breaking the law.

TheBoss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Middlesbrough
What bollocks, so your quite happy to play a server, but the people who put time into it shouldnt receive a optional donation because noone forced them to make it? Finish primary school and learn your basic language if your going to even try to contribute.

Its exactly as scorpian says, if they made the server, its their choice how it works, dont like it, dont play it.

You create law in an industry which is built on breaking the law.

some one else that speaks sence ..

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
Yeah, sence. Fail.

Zen is right in a way. But if you do allow donations, there shouldnt be great rewards such as kit etc IMO. Maybe just exp pots or summin.